Kids4BW Advocacy Fly-In to D.C.
Summer 2022 Dates: June 12th-15th
Be sure to check out the pictures from our previous fly-ins!
Kids For The Boundary Waters will be flying into Washington, D.C. this summer 2022 to advocate on behalf of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. We want YOU to join us!
This intense, four-day trip will begin with a group dinner for an advocacy training session. That evening you will be thoroughly educated and updated on the threat to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, you will practice your “pitch” for scheduled leadership meetings, and you will be armed with the tools needed to channel your passion into a highly effective advocacy message on behalf of the BWCA.
The next 3 days will be a whirlwind of meetings on Capitol Hill with appointed leaders at the U.S. Forest Service, Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Department of Agriculture, and high-ranking members of the House and Senate. We will encourage and assist you in securing meetings with your own members of Congress prior to the Fly-In, and will divide the large group into effective teams, each with an experienced Kids4BW team leader to help navigate the halls of Congress.
Please read through our Full Application Requirements and cost prior to submission. Here are a few basic things to know:
- All applications are due by Sunday, March 20th at 11:59pm.
- All applicants must be 15 years of age or older at the time of the fly-in.
- Applicants may be no more than 22 years of age at the time of the fly-in.
- All applicants < 18y must submit guardian consent to apply.
- Kids4BW encourages young people of diverse social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds to apply.
- Kids4BW encourages young people with a strong commitment to wilderness conservation from across America to apply, regardless of whether they have yet had opportunity to experience the BWCA first-hand. The advocacy skills you will learn are applicable to any issue you are passionate about.
MartKids4BW wants all successful applicants for the fly-in to participate regardless of financial means. Financial assistance is available to partially or fully offset the cost of this trip for some successful applicants who demonstrate financial need. If financial assistance is needed, please complete this form after your application is fully submitted. Please note: Requesting financial aid will not in any way impact our evaluation of your application.
This trip will be intense, fast-paced and hard work. It will also be very exhilarating and gratifying. You will return home Thursday with a deep sense of accomplishment, having participated in an important American process, having utilized your passion and voice on behalf of America’s most pristine water wilderness, and having made lasting friendships with many other passionate youth from across the country!
The Application Process:
If you have NOT previously been accepted to attend a Kids4BW fly-in please complete the 3 following tasks to apply (if you have successfully applied in the past but did not get to attend due to Covid-19, continue to the next section):
- Complete the new attendee application in its entirety.
- Have a previous or current teacher/professor complete a reference form on your behalf.
If you HAVE previously attended or been accepted to attend a Kids4BW fly-in, please complete the following application:
- Returning Attendee Application. By completing the Returning Attendee Application you are acknowledging your intent and availability to attend.
- Please note that due to financial and logistical constraints, previous fly-in attendance does not guarantee acceptance to our 2022 fly-in. However, we do encourage all previous attendants to submit an application and to consider being a group leader(see application).
All applications must be received no later than 11:59 pm on Sunday, March 20th. Applications received after this time will not be considered in the selection process. Acceptance notifications will be sent by the 27th of March.
*Kids4BW will be adhering to all local Covid-19 guidelines while in D.C..