Kids4BW Advocacy Fly-In to D.C.
June 15-18th*, 2020
Be sure to check out the pictures from our previous fly-ins!
Kids For The Boundary Waters will be flying into Washington, D.C. in June to advocate on behalf of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. We want YOU to join us!
This intense, four-day trip will begin with a group dinner for an advocacy training session. That evening you will be thoroughly educated and updated on the threat to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, you will practice your “pitch” for scheduled leadership meetings, and you will be armed with the tools needed to channel your passion into a highly effective advocacy message on behalf of the BWCA.
The next 2 days will be a whirlwind of meetings on Capitol Hill with appointed leaders at the U.S. Forest Service, Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Department of Agriculture, and high-ranking members of the House and Senate. We will encourage and assist you in securing meetings with your own members of Congress prior to the Fly-In, and will divide the large group into effective teams, each with an experienced Kids4BW team leader to help navigate the halls of Congress.
Please read through our Full Application Requirements and cost prior to submission. Here are a few basic things to know:
- Application deadline is 11:59 p.m. Sunday, February 2nd, 2020. No late applications will be accepted.
- All applicants must be 15 years of age or older at the time of the fly-in.
- Applicants may be no more than 22 years of age at the time of the fly-in.
- All applicants < 18y must submit guardian consent to apply.
- Kids4BW encourages young people of diverse social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds to apply.
- Kids4BW encourages young people with a strong commitment to wilderness conservation from across America to apply, regardless of whether they have yet had opportunity to experience the BWCA first-hand. The advocacy skills you will learn are applicable to any issue you are passionate about.
Kids4BW wants all successful applicants for the fly-in to participate regardless of financial means. Financial assistance is available to partially or fully offset the cost of this trip for some successful applicants who demonstrate financial need. If financial assistance is needed, please contact Joseph@kidsfortheboundarywaters.org after your application is fully submitted. Please note: Requesting financial aid will not in any way impact our evaluation of your application.
This trip will be intense, fast-paced and hard work. It will also be very exhilarating and gratifying. You will return home Thursday with a deep sense of accomplishment, having participated in an important American process, having utilized your passion and voice on behalf of America’s most pristine water wilderness, and having made lasting friendships with many other passionate youth from across the country!
If you have NOT previously attended a Kids4BW fly-in please complete the 3 following tasks to apply:
- Complete the new attendee application in its entirety.
- Upload a signed parental consent to application. Please title the file with your name. (Click here to download and print consent form)
- Have a previous or current teacher/professor email a completed reference form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you HAVE previously attended a Kids4BW fly-in you need only complete the following application:
- Returning Attendee Application. By completing the Returning Attendee Application you are acknowledging your intent and availability to attend.
- Please note that due to financial and logistical constraints, previous fly-in attendance does not guarantee acceptance to our 2020 fly-in. However, we do encourage all previous attendants to submit an application and to consider being a group leader(see application).
*Please note that these dates are subject to change based on the legislative calendar.