Kids4BW Advocacy Fly-In to D.C.
Please note that information on this page refers to our June 2019 fly-in. This page will be updated once 2020 fly-in dates have been announced. Be sure to check out the pictures from our previous fly-ins!
Kids For The Boundary Waters will be flying into Washington, D.C. in June to advocate on behalf of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. We want YOU to join us!
This intense, four-day trip will begin with a group dinner for an intensive advocacy training session. That evening you will be thoroughly educated and updated on the threat to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, you will practice your “pitch” for scheduled leadership meetings, and you will be armed with the tools needed to channel your passion into a highly effective advocacy message on behalf of the BWCA.
The next 2 days will be a whirlwind of meetings on Capitol Hill with appointed leaders at the U.S. Forest Service, Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Department of Agriculture, and high-ranking members of the House and Senate. We will encourage and assist you in securing meetings with your own members of Congress prior to the Fly-In, and will divide the large group into effective teams, each with an experienced Kids4BW team leader to help navigate the halls of Congress.
Please read through all application requirements and cost prior to submission. Here are a few basic things to know:
- Application deadline is 11:59 p.m. Sunday, March 10th, 2019. No late applications will be accepted.
- All applicants must be 15 years of age or older AND be a high-school sophomore or beyond
- Applicants may be no more than 22 years of age.
- All applicants < 18y must submit guardian consent to apply.
- Kids4BW encourages young people of diverse social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds to apply.
- Kids4BW encourages young people with a strong commitment to wilderness conservation from across America to apply, regardless of whether they have yet had opportunity to experience the BWCA first-hand.
This trip will be intense, fast-paced and hard work. It will also be very exhilarating and gratifying. You will return home Thursday morning with a deep sense of accomplishment, having participated in an important American process, and having utilized your passion and voice on behalf of America’s most pristine water wilderness!
Please feel free to attach additional pages as needed for the text of your application.
Completed applications should be submitted as a single pdf document including all general information, self evaluation responses AND both references. Please return completed application and references no later than March 31st, 2019 to Joseph@kidsfortheboundarywaters.org